Skip to content

Building Control Frequently Asked Questions

Building control is often something people don’t consider when it comes to buying or building properties. As building surveyors, there are certain questions that we get asked time and time again. To make it easier for our current and prospective clients, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answered them as thoroughly as possible. If anything springs to mind that we haven’t covered in this blog, never hesitate to reach out to the friendly team at All Building Control. We are always more than happy to help people understand the process a bit better to make the entire experience as easy as possible.

What are Building Regulations?

Simply put, building regulations are a set of rules laid out by local authorities to ensure properties are structurally safe and efficient, among other things. While they are in place primarily to keep anyone who enters the building as safe as possible, they also cover elements such as energy efficiency and accessibility for disabled people.

Will I Need Building Control?

This typically depends on the project. However, building control is generally required for most major construction works. Common projects necessitating building control include extensions and conversions. You will need to apply for building regulations in order for the building control team to check your work abides by the guidelines. 

When Don’t I Need Building Control?

While most major works will require building control, there are several smaller projects that won’t involve our input. You won’t need to apply for building control when it comes to maintenance work, garden walls or fences, minor repairs and additional power or lighting points and switches, unless they are around a bath or shower. Greenhouses, temporary buildings, small conservatories or porches, covered yards, small garages, and some ancillary buildings are amongst the few buildings that do not require building control approval.

Should I Tell My Neighbours About My Building Project?

We always strongly recommend talking to your neighbours about your building works, particularly if they are likely to be affected by noise, dust or the finished work. If your construction project involves shared walls or boundaries, you may need to get your neighbours’ permission through a Party Wall Agreement. If you are unsure how to go about this process, the team at All Building Control are more than happy to help you with the process.

What Happens If My Work Doesn’t Comply With Building Regulations?

Should your local council building control team deem your work to be below certain standards, you may be asked to either alter or pull it down. In cases where people continually fail to meet building regulation standards, local authorities may issue a fine or pursue legal action. 

Can I Get Retrospective Building Control Approval?

If you failed to apply for building control whilst in the construction phase or your property’s previous owner did not acquire the proper approval, you could apply for regularisation. This process involves a building surveyor performing an inspection of your property and assessing whether or not it meets the correct standards. If it falls short, your surveyor will provide expert advice on how best to improve the property and make it safer and more efficient. Once the amendments have been made, they can issue you the relevant approval certificates.

How Do I Start?
Got a construction project in the works? We’re here for you. Do yourself a favour and contact the expert team at All Building Control for the best service you could hope for. We are passionate about our work and will always go above and beyond for every single one of our clients.




Declaration and Request for Final Certificate by Client, Principal Designer, and Principal Contractor

1) I/we confirm that I/we have fulfilled our obligations in respect of Principal Designer / Principal Contractor as defined in Regulation 16E of The Building (Approved Inspector etc.) Regulations 2010 and Part 2A (duty holders and competence) of the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended). As far as I/we are reasonably and practicably able to ascertain, the works, to the best of our knowledge, comply with the Building Regulations. I/we therefore formally request issue of the Final Certificate.

2) I/we confirm that as the person carrying out the work, I/we have passed all pertinent fire safety information to the responsible person (RP) as required by Regulation 38 of the Building Regulations such that they may adequately and reasonably fulfil their ongoing obligation under the RR(FS)O.

    I am the:

    Date Appointed:

    Upload Signature: